Okay, so as some of you might know, I am definitely no Jamie Oliver when it comes to making magic in the kitchen. I have about seven signature dishes I know how to make without a recipe and they pretty much sum up the relatively repetitive diet of my partner and I.
In my defense, it's not that I am not interested in learning how to cook new things. I mean, I save plenty of delicious recipe videos that pop up on Facebook as I mindlessly scroll through my news feed, but the problem is most of those videos never get watched again, let alone cooked into an actual edible meal!
With not a clue what to cook the other night and absolutely no desire to eat one of the same seven Sam signature meals, I decided to look back through my Facebook saved videos, and that was when I came across these bad boys... The chicken fajita sweet potato skins.
Now I enjoy Mexican food just as much as the next person (maybe even more) but Mexican food isn't exactly known for its nutrient rich and waist friendly ingredients. Thankfully someone came up with the incredible concept of sweet potato boats filled with chicken fajita goodness and let me tell you, they are a clean-eating game changer!
They are super easy to make, bloody delicious to eat and fill you up completely without having to suffer your way through that post-mexican bloating. Like seriously, what more could a girl want?!
So that is why I have taken it upon myself to share the love and thus share this delicious recipe with you. Trust me on this one, do not let this be another recipe you simply save and never make. They are far too good to miss!
2 sweet potatoes
½ red bell pepper, sliced
½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
½ green bell pepper, sliced
½ onion, sliced
1 chicken breast
3 tablespoons shredded mozerrella cheese
For the fajita seasoning:
1-2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
2. Using a fork, poke holes down one side of each sweet potato. Microwave for 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Let sweet potatoes cool before handling.
3. Next, cut sweet potatoes in half and carve out the centers, leaving a small rim around the outside of each sweet potato.
4. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Add the bell peppers and onion to the other side of the baking sheet. Drizzle in olive oil.
5. Next, mix the fajita seasoning ingredients together. Season the sweet potatoes and veggies.
6. Add chicken breast on top of the veggies, drizzle in olive oil and add additional seasoning.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until chicken reaches 165˚F/75˚C. Let cool for a few minutes.
8. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and mix together with the veggies. Fill up the sweet potatoes and top with mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake for 5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.
10. Garnish with your favourite toppings (I used guacamole made with red onion, avocado and lemon juice, light sour cream and coriander).
- Sam Jenkins xx